Skip to main content

Poem by an African Child

Today, my cousin sets a very touching poem written by an African child as a Display Picture on BlackBerry Messenger.
This poem was nominated for the best poem of 2005.
I used to pay no attention to poem since I often hard to understand it but this one really attract me.
It is a simple yet meaningful poem.
Here is it.

Colored

When I born, I Black
When I grow up, I Black
When I go in sun, I Black
When I scared, I Black
When I sick, I Black
And when I die, I still Black

And you White fellows,
When you born, you Pink
When you grow up, you White
When you go in sun, you Red
When you cold, you Blue
When you scared, you Yellow
When you sick, you Green
And when you die, you Grey
And you calling me Colored?

The child who writes this poem want to tell us about his/her feeling about how it feels to have black skin.
People with white skin usually put a negative value to them with black skin.
I think, the color of skin really doesn’t matter.
Some people said that this poem can be categorized as racism to the people with white skin.
I totally disagree with that opinion.
For me, the child just shows us what he/she feels.
Nothing else.
Say no to racism, we all are the same.

Comments